Wednesday, 17 Jan 2018
HEALTH & EDUCATION

Encouraging students to start-up

Updated at Tuesday, 19 Dec 2017, 18:30
The Hanoitimes - Start-up to earn money, but students without orientation and unequipped with skills and knowledge will be dangerous. This is one of the concerns at the conference “Developing training model for start-up from high school level” held in Hanoi.
General Director of BK-Holdings Nguyen Trung Dung said the keyword “start-up” has been quite common. But the big question is how we can equip students to prepare for star-tup. Dung said, in working reality, there are many young start-ups.
 
Workshop for start-ups.
Workshop for start-ups.
But in developed countries with successful stories about start-ups, they often have a long preparation for start-up ecosystem. Therefore, their start-ups will have high chances for start-up compared to the start-up environment in Vietnam. According to the latest report on start-up index in Vietnam, the start-up ecosystem has 12 criteria. As such, Vietnam has 3 criteria above average score, while the remaining 9 criteria is under the average score, in which 3 are of the lowest score. These are the supporting policies of the government for start-up ecosystem, secondly is financial access for start up, and the third is education for business at high school level, with the latter only scored 1.57 out of 5 points. 

With regard to start-ups issues, Deputy chief of Mission of the Israel Embassy to Vietnam, Doron Lebovich shared experiences of the successful stories about start-ups in some countries. Doron Lebovich said 80% schools in Israel is of public, with the support on finance from the government. Main subjects for students take 75% of time, while the remaining 25% is designed for each students at schools. Teachers are allowed to modify their own teaching materials. Schools set up subjects to suit practical needs for studnets. “Especially in Israel, we focus on STEM education (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) from kindergarten level to university level. In kindergarten, there are lessons about micro science such as touching to sky. In higher level, students often go to lab to experience practical science. Students from 15 – 18 years of age experience summer camp in English. We also encourage students loving science through allowing them to take part in science club, and taking part in science park” – Doron Lebovich said. 

In Vietnam, Mr. Bui Tien Dung, representative of the Ministry of Training & Education said, it is necessary to develop a teaching materials with regard to start-ups for teaching staffs. Secondly, there will be direct support for teachers responsible for career orientation programs in high schools, as well as at Centers for student advising of the Ministry of Labor, Invalids and Social Affairs. The next step is to train teaching staffs and the management team of science clubs at schools. “After having obtained necessary skills, teachers will support students through career orientation sessions, extracurricular activities, and so on” – Dung said.

With regard to the start-ups of students, there are opinions that not everyone can be a start-up. As such, for students who want to start-up will be trained appropriately. While for general students, they will be equipped with necessary skills for start-ups, encouraging them to understand more about this issue, and taking part in start-up process when they are still in high school.
Nguyen Tung - Trung Anh
Others:
Thiết kế web: OnIP™