The Hanoitimes - Hanoi People`s Committee has been deploying the work to restore the Morocco Gate in Tan Linh commune, Ba Vi district with the aim to boosting Vietnam-Morocco friendship relationship.
Earlier the Morocco Gate was restored once in 2009 by the Moroccan Embassy.
According to the municipal Department of Culture and Sports, the restoration was requested by the Moroccan Embassy in Vietnam and the Party Central Committee's Commission for External Affairs.
During the war of resistance against the French in Vietnam (1946-1954), thousands of African legionnaires, including Moroccans, deserted their French troop and joined the army of Vietnam.
After the Great Dien Bien Phu Victory, late President Ho Chi Minh instructed to establish a Vietnam – Africa plantation in Ba Vi district, receiving hundreds of former legionnaires and locals. Many of the former legionnaires married local women and settled down in the area.
The three-door-temple gate was built in 1963 by Moroccans who strived to maintain their culture, architecture and religion, calling it the “Immortal Gate”, or the “Permanent Gate”.
The Morocco Gate in Tan Linh commune, Ba Vi district, Hanoi city.
The last African soldier was allowed to leave Vietnam by 1970. When they returned to their homeland, they brought their wives and children with them.
For these African legionnaires, the Morocco Gate is considered a memento of their loves for Vietnam – Africa plantation, the Vietnamese country and people, as well as a symbol of solidarity and humanistic spirit between Vietnam and Morocco.