Sunday, 19 Nov 2017
PHOTO GALLERY
Explore the only remaining citadel gate of the ancient Thang Long citadel
Updated at Saturday, 11 Nov 2017, 19:48
Quan Chuong gate located in ​Dong Xuan ward, Hoan Kiem district, Hanoi is the only remaining citadel gate of the ancient Thang Long.
According to the history records, in the Le Hien Tong Dynasty (1740 -1786), Thang Long capital has sixteen citadel gates. In the 20th century, there were only five ones mentioned in the newspaper including: Cau Giay, Cau Den, Cho Dua, Dong Mac and Quan Chuong citadel gate. Today, Quan Chuong is located in Dong Xuan ward, Hoan Kiem district, Hanoi and is the only remaining gate of the old Thang Long citadel.
Quan Chuong citadel gate was built in the 10th Canh Hung (1749), named Dong Ha Mon (Dong Ha Gate - in Dong Ha precinct). This is at the east wall of the citadel surrounding the ancient Thang Long Citadel. This work has been repaired twice, that is in the third Gia Long (1804) and the 16th Gia Long (1817), however, the present architecture is the result of the repair in 1804.
People regared this gate as Quan Chuong is to remember the merit and sacrifice of General commander, comming from Bac Ninh province, who along with about 100 Nguyen soldiers bravely strugged the French soldiers to keep Dong Ha gate…
In the book "People and the scene of Hanoi" by Hoang Dao Thuy, history of Quan Chuong is clearly described: "Parallelly with Hang Dau street is Hang Khoai street. Quan Chuong Gate (Dong Ha Gate) is located in Hang Chieu Street. Before the arrival of the foreigners, Jean Dupuis was basing here with the people of Francisco Garnier attacking the citadel; a commander with one hundred soldiers strugged to keep the gate."
Quan Chuong Gate is designed in gazebo style - a typical of the Nguyen Dynasty, with a front facing towards O Quan Chuong street (Rue des Nattes en Joncs (Hang Chieu Coi street).
Quan Chuong Gate is designed in gazebo style - a typical of the Nguyen Dynasty, with a front facing towards O Quan Chuong street (Rue des Nattes en Joncs (Hang Chieu Coi street).
This is a trading place of sedge mats, products of the coastal areas such as Ninh Binh, Thai Binh, Nam Dinh province, transfered to Thang Long - Hanoi by river way.
This is a trading place of sedge mats, products of the coastal areas such as Ninh Binh, Thai Binh, Nam Dinh province, transfered to Thang Long - Hanoi by river way.
Quan Chuong gate has two floors, underneath including three floors: a door in the middle (3 m high and wide) and two side doors are on both sides (about 1.65m wide, 2.5m high).
Quan Chuong gate has two floors, underneath including three floors: a door in the middle (3 m high and wide) and two side doors are on both sides (about 1.65m wide, 2.5m high).
All three doors are designed in arch style.
All three doors are designed in arch style.
Upstairs there are four dormers, shrunk right at the top of the main door, surrounded by railing decorated with hexagonal, quadrilateral and asterisks shape. In the past, soldiers stood on the gazebo to observe the surroundings.
Upstairs there are four dormers, shrunk right at the top of the main door, surrounded by railing decorated with hexagonal, quadrilateral and asterisks shape. In the past, soldiers stood on the gazebo to observe the surroundings.
Between the top of the main door and the gazebo is a rectangular frame (nearly 1m high, about 3m wide), on the front is embossed three Han characters with blue piece of porcelain: "Dong Ha Mon".
Between the top of the main door and the gazebo is a rectangular frame (nearly 1m high, about 3m wide), on the front is embossed three Han characters with blue piece of porcelain: "Dong Ha Mon".

Between the top of the main door and the gazebo is a rectangular frame (nearly 1m high, about 3m wide), on the front is embossed three Han characters with blue piece of porcelain: "Dong Ha Mon".
Quan Chuong Gate is both a vestige and a proof of the indomitable struggle spirit of our people in fighting foreign aggression and preserving the national cultural heritage.
 
The materials used to build the Quan Chuong Gate are bricks and stones, of relatively large size, similar to the type of brick used in The Temple of Literature.
The materials used to build the Quan Chuong Gate are bricks and stones, of relatively large size, similar to the type of brick used in The Temple of Literature.
Quan Chuong Gate was recognized as a historical monument in 1994.
Quan Chuong Gate was recognized as a historical monument in 1994.
Cam Anh - Ho Ha
Print pageSend to friend Share on facebook  Share on twitterCommentView comment
Others:
Zoom in the initial mural sketches on Hanoi old railway arch spans
Thiết kế web: OnIP™